THE SIA 2013 SNOW SHOW CHEAT SHEET
Your Go-To List Of All Things Snow Show
The countdown is on! The 2013 SIA Snow Show is just around the corner and we’ve got a lot of info to streamline your planning and help you make the best use of your time at the Show. Use the check list below - The Guide, The Show Preview, Interactive Floor Plan and the Show App are just some of the tools that will make your 2013 Show the best ever. Also take a look at the extensive list of seminars and events, both at the Show and the On-Snow Demo, to be sure you don’t miss out on any of the great opportunities for education, networking, and just plain fun at this year’s Show!
I’ve been going to the SIA Snow Show for 18 years. I think attending the Show in Denver at the Colorado Convention Center is the best – the atmosphere is great, it’s low hassle, it’s close to snow and skiing, and there are lots of great things to do in Denver after Show hours. I’m really looking forward to it and I know everyone is jazzed about getting out there.” –Tim Mullen, Buyer, Inside Edge/Reliable Racing Supply, Queensbury, NY.
NEW CURATED SECTION HELPS YOU ZOOM IN ON SPECIFIC STATS, EXHIBITS AND INFO YOU NEED
SIAsnowshow.com’s Curated View of Snow Sports Lets You Focus on a Single Category
New this year, SIA has assembled a category-specific Curated Guide to the Show. The new Curated Section at SIAsnowshow.com breaks out Ski, Snowboard, Nordic, Women, Backcountry and Apparel & Accessories, so you can see statistics, show exhibits, special events and SIA attendee testimonials for each category. Take a look at SIAsnowshow.com/curated.
FORD NAMED OFFICIAL PARTNER OF THE 2013 SIA SNOW SHOW
SIA has a new partnership with Ford Motor Company, making Ford the official partner for the 2013 SIA Snow Show and Snow Fashion & Trends Show. As part of the partnership, Ford will host the 2013 Ford Experience Tour at the SIA Snow Show, featuring the latest Ford vehicles and technology. Show attendees may interact with the vehicles on display and enter drawings to win prizes, including any new Ford vehicle worth up to $30,000.
FREE SKIING AND RIDING FOR SHOW ATTENDEES WITH COLORADO SKI COUNTRY USA
For a fourth year, we’re partnering with Colorado Ski Country USA (CSCUSA) to give all SIA Show Attendees the chance to “Ski/Snowboard the Best of Colorado” with free or 2-for-1 lift ticket vouchers. Registered Show buyers get three free lift ticket vouchers along with their Show badge that can be used any of the five days after the SIA Snow Show. All other Show Attendees get three 2-for-1 lift ticket vouchers. Find details at SIAsnowshow.com/skiride. Remittance instructions and participating locations are on the back of the voucher.
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS EPIC OPPORTUNITY – THE EPIC PASS FOR SHOW ATTENDEES IS JUST $259
Stop by the Epic Pass booth #1148 to get your exclusive SIA Epic Pass, good for unlimited access to Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood and Arapahoe Basin starting Feb 4. It’s more than 60% off the regular price and it’s available only to Show attendees, in person, so head to the Epic Pass booth — Jan 31 - Feb 3 only — to take advantage of this great offer.
CHECK IT TWICE!
Here’s the List to use before you head to the airport and through the Show. Make life easier by checking off these must-dos to help navigate the Show and plan your time.
- THERE’S STILL TIME TO REGISTER: Online registration has closed, but you can still get on board – just call Pat Grenke, SIA Membership Manager, at 703-556-9020 x222 or email PGrenke@snowsports.org.
- STAY ON TOP OF THE LATEST SHOW NEWS – FOLLOW US ON TWITTER, INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK
Remember to Keep Checking SIAsnowshow.com for Updates
For 24/7 updates, be sure to keep visiting: SIAsnowshow.com, SIA’s Latest or follow SIA insiders on Twitter, Instagram and SIA’s Facebook page – we’ll be sending highlights before and during the Show to keep you in the know. When tweeting about the Show, add #SIA13 to join the conversation about the Show on Twitter.
- CHECK OUT PRODUCTS AND BRANDS WITH SNEAK PEAK+ NEW PRODUCT DIRECTORY
The Sneak Peak + New Product Directory is both a new product directory for retailers and an "at-a-glance" hot item spotter for journalists researching trends and product features.
*Exhibitors may upload their latest product at any time, up until and during the Show here.
- THE DIGITAL PRESS ROOM IS THE PLACE TO SEE EXHIBITOR NEWS DURING THE SHOW AND ALL YEAR LONG
The Digital Press Room is open and stocked with the latest news from SIA Exhibitors. It is open for submissions throughout the Show, and provides exhibitors with the technology to upload press releases, product information, images and more. All uploads are available for viewing at SIAsnowshow.com and Snowsports.org throughout the 2012/13 Season.
*Reminder: No paper press kits or USBs are allowed on site.
- DOWNLOAD YOUR COPIES OF THE GUIDE AND THE 2013 SNOW SHOW PREVIEW FOR AN INFORMATIVE LOOK AT WHAT’S IN STORE FOR THIS YEAR’S SHOW
The Guide, powered by TransWorld Business, is available for iPad with a free app. Get the digital version at issuu.com/siasnowsports.com. Additional hard copies of The Guide will be on-site at the Show on Day 1.
The SIA Snow Show Preview provides a sneak peek of what to expect at the 2013 SIA Snow Show and On-Snow Demo/Ski-Ride Fest including brands, seminars, parties, events, and more. View the digital version here.
“The main thing for me at the Show is trying to hang with shop owners and show them the new gear. I also really like seeing all the booth set-ups. People go all out decking out their booths, and it’s cool to see how people are displaying their products. Of course I love seeing Burton’s booth – they have a whole team dedicated to designing it and they always do a killer job.” –Tanner Comfort, Mid-Atlantic Sales Rep, Burton, Analog Clothing, Anon Optics
“I’m looking forward to the Show because I want to discover some new smaller vendors that have innovative and exciting new products.” –Phil Libby, Owner, Sportshaus Ski and Sport, Bridgton, ME
EVENTS, SEMINARS AND ALL THAT THE SHOW HAS TO OFFER:
Check out the list below to see a sampling of events, seminars, parties and special opportunities happening this year. The Event Calendar can be found at the Interactive Show Guide; the full Seminar listings, with detailed descriptions, are at SIAsnowshow.com/seminars.
OPEN THE SNOW SHOW WITH A NIGHT OF STYLE, MUSIC, COCKTAILS & SOCIAL
Snow Fashion & Trends Show, New Date – Wednesday, January 30, Doors Open 6:30P, Show Starts at 7P
Let the premiere collections of winter style open the Snow Show with a night of fashion, partying, music and socializing. Billed as the headline event for the SIA Snow Show, the Snow Fashion & Trends Show, showcases more than 27 brands – some industry style icons, others new to snow – with video trends, produced by Stylesight, rolling throughout giving you the inside view of what to see on the Show Floor the next day. Take in cocktails and a live DJ. Save the Date!
Find information, exhibitors and details in the Sourcing Snow portfolio.
NEW SIA SOURCING SNOW ADDS TEXTILE COMPONENT TO THE SNOW SHOW
January 30 – February 1, Featuring 33 Top Component Suppliers
Be there for the first Sourcing Snow, a separate, exhibitor owned trade show at the Colorado Convention Center’s Mile High Ballroom. Sourcing Snow connects snow sports manufacturers and designers with the top textile experts and production professionals. Your Snow Show Badge gives you access to Sourcing Snow. With your support, we look to make Sourcing Snow a destination that grows to be a mainstay of the Snow Show. Sourcing Snow hours are Wednesday, January 30, 9A – 5P, Thursday, January 31, 9A – 5P and Friday, February 1, 9A – 3P. For more information, visit SIAsnowshow.com/sourcing.
THE BLUEBIRD SOCIAL ZONE IS THE SPOT TO PLUG IN, REGROUP AND HONE SOCIAL MEDIA SKILLS
Created with bloggers and social media addicts in mind, the BlueBird Social Zone, sponsored by TransWorld Media and presented by Votigo, is the perfect spot to take a break, charge up electronics, update a blog or file a story from one of the seated work areas. There’s also a great line-up of social media seminars and events taking place in the BlueBird Social Zone during the Show, including:
- The Digital Journey of Outdoor Sports Enthusiasts – Jan 31, 12P
- BlueBird Bash and Photo Contest Kick-Off - Jan 31, 5P
- Social Media Strategy – Winning Customers With your Words – Feb1, 12P
- The Inside Scoop – Working With Bloggers (moderated by Turner PR and several top snow sports bloggers) – Feb 2, 12P
Find the full list of seminars at SIASnowShow/Seminars.
SHMOOZA PALOOZA JOB FAIR BRINGS INDUSTRY EMPLOYERS AND PROFESSIONALS TOGETHER
Malakye.com and SIA are anticipating another great Shmooz at the show. We’re expecting a great turnout of attendees, and the companies on board to conduct interviews include Burton, 686, Copper Mountain, and EVO. In addition, Amy Magyar, career coach and resume expert, will be on-hand to offer resume critiques and career advice. Free for both exhibitors and attendees, the event takes place on Fri, Feb 1 from 11A – 4P in the Grand Concourse at the Colorado Convention Center. For more information on the Shmooz, click here or email Chad@malakye.com to get involved.
CHEER ON THE DESIGNERS IN THE THIRD ANNUAL RECLAIM DESIGN PROJECT
January 31 – February 2, inside the Show Hall near the 686 Booth at #3465
Back at the SIA Snow Show for a third year, the world famous RECLAIM Design Project presented by 686, SIA and Malakye gives three talented designers an opportunity to be awarded the grand prize of a coveted internship at 686. In the middle of the action at the 2013 SIA Snow Show, the three chosen designers will produce an original garment created from existing 686 “reclaimed” materials and trims - actual leftovers from their cutting room floor. Show attendees can look on as the designers have three days to create unique designs in an effort to win the grand prize. Click here to read more.
HOT PLANET/COOL ATHLETES CLIMATE ASSEMBLY GIVES THE YOUNGER GENERATION A CHANCE TO LEARN ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE AT THE SNOW SHOW
Presented by Protect Our Winters, The Alliance for Climate Education & SnowSports Industries America
Mile High Ballroom, Feb 2, 9A -12P
Protect Our Winters (POW), Alliance for Climate Education (ACE) & SIA invites middle and high school students, teachers and parents from the Denver Public Schools to attend a Hot Planet/Cool Athletes presentation on climate change.
Hot Planet/Cool Athletes is a high energy, multi-media program that educates and inspires students about the effects of climate change, especially as it relates to our mountains and winter season, and provides them with solutions and the inspiration to become the next generation of environmental leaders. The program is delivered by some of the biggest names in snow sports including The North Face's own David Carrier-Porcheron and Nick Martini.
Hot Planet/Cool Athletes is a FREE event sponsored by SIA to promote an understanding of the effects of global warming and to teach young people about the role they can play in preserving our environment. 1,500 free tickets are available for this event. RSVP online or to RSVP by email, send student’s name, age, school affiliation and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
A SAMPLING OF FREE SEMINARS:
Find the complete list of over 50 at SIASnowshow.com/seminars.
- Snow Sports Market Category Seminars, Jan 30, 9A – 3P, presented by Kelly Davis, SIA’s Director of Research, provide important market insight before heading into the Show including an analysis of snow sports retail and how it’s evolving along with consumer behavior. “The Market Category seminars are the one time each season that we present the research for each specific category in a single place on the same day. This is the most comprehensive review of sales, participation, and other factors affecting the snow sports market,” says SIA’s Kelly Davis. Category specific content is presented throughout the day starting with Alpine at 9A, Snowboard -10A, Apparel -11A, Accessories –1P, and Backcountry – 2P. (Nordic category presentation is at the Nordic Demo, Sun. Feb 3, 6P, at Devil’s Thumb Ranch).
- Rental World/Backshop Seminars:
- Backcountry Experience Seminars:
- Project Zero 2025: A New Vision For Avalanche Safety and the Snow Sports Industry – Jan 31, 12P, and Feb 1, 10A and 2P.
- Steep Life Protocols: Jan 31, 4:30P
- Splitboard Conversion Challenge: Jan 31, 5:30P
- The “Human Factor” in the Backcountry: Feb 1, 12P
- Meet Jeremy Jones: Feb 1, 5P
- Backcountry Blowout! Feb 1, 5:30P
A complete run-down of the 2013 Snow Show seminar topics with detailed descriptions and presenters is at SIAsnowshow.com/seminars. The SIA Snow Show Daily also includes seminar listings and the Show’s Smartphone App is available to download at SIAsnowshow.com/showapp.
SHOW EVENT CALENDAR IS FULL OF OPPORTUNITIES FOR EDUCATION, RECOGNITION, FRIENDS AND FUN:
A full listing of events is live on the Interactive Show Guide; be sure to check it often for updates and additions.
- The 2013 Snow Fashion & Trends Show takes place at the SIA Lodge Stage, with a live DJ and eye catching multi-media video projections as a back drop for the beautifully styled models. Cocktails, sounds and social make this a premiere evening in the snow sports industry to preview the winter collections for 2013/14. Jan 30, 6:30P
- Skiing Business Industry Awards, which recognize some of the ski industry's best leaders from around the country. Based on peer nominations, shops in 12 categories, sales reps in three categories, and, new this year, the most supportive brand are awarded. Jan 31
- SIA SnowSports Retailer & Rep of the Year Awards and Industry Achievement, Feb 1, 6P in the CSCUSA Central Food Court & Lounge. Each year SIA recognizes specialty retailers, sales reps and industry suppliers in the US and Canada who have excelled in fostering relationships, moving product and setting their brand apart from the competition, while pushing forward the passion and growth of snow sports. This year’s Industry Achievement Award is also unveiled. Click here for more information.
- Icelantic’s Winter on the Rocks, an annual chance to experience a winter concert at Red Rocks. Featuring Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, tickets are on sale now. Feb 1, 8:30P
- Lights Outs 2013 by 686 charity boxing match with the industry’s heavy hitters returns, Jan 31. Boxing rounds start at 8P, Casselmans on Walnut St.
- Daily Happy Hour: 5P, CSCUSA Central Food Court & Lounge
After a full day of meetings, appointments and touring the Show floor, come enjoy a few cold ones with industry friends.
TIME TO HEAD FOR THE HILLS – INDUSTRY CAMARADERIE CARRIES ON AT THE ON-SNOW DEMO
The 2013 On-Snow Demo/Ski-Ride Fest at Winter Park Resort is Feb 4, 9A - 4P and Feb 5, 9A - 4P. The 2013 Nordic Demo at Devil’s Thumb Ranch is one day only, Mon, Feb 4, 9A - 4P.
The on-snow brand list is posted at SIAsnowshow/on-snow-demo.
The $10 On-Snow Demo Registration Includes 2 Days at Winter Park & 1 Day at Devil’s Thumb Ranch with:
- Lift Tickets (WP) & Trail Access (DTR)
- Breakfasts & Lunches
- Transportation To & From Denver
- Ski/Snowboard Rental
- Après on Monday at WP & DTR
- Shindig at the Summit
2013 On-Snow Demo/Ski-Ride Fest at Winter Park Resort events and activities include:
- Office Booyz (&Girls), Feb 4, 12-3P
- Uphill/Downhill Challenge: Feb 4, 2P
Bringing Together the Weak, Strong and the Thirsty... Do you have what it takes? 1,400’ up to the Sunspot Lodge at the top of Winter Park and back down to the base area. The race of challenge, endurance and camaraderie.
- REGISTER NOW! Complete entry and email to email@example.com or fax 866-998-2899.
ON-SITE REGISTRATION: Drop off your registration form at the SCARPA Booth # 3109, at the Show, or register at the SCARPA On-Snow Demo booth until 12 noon, the day of the event
- START: 2P, at the SIA On-Snow Demo/Ski-Ride Fest, Winter Park Village (demo area)
- AWARDS: Begins at 4P, West Portal Station, Winter Park Village
- PRIZES: Elite/COSMIC (fastest individual time) wins the latest in Rando Race tech gear. Industry Team (fastest individual time) wins a “Bragging Rights” and some top of the line gear.
- Après Beers and Awards, Feb 4, 4P, West Portal Station
- The Shindig at the Summit: Feb 4, 5:30P
- Sponsored by SIA Board of Directors
- Sunspot Lodge – take the Zephyr Express gondola to the top
- Free Beer & Eats, 5:30P – 9:30P
- Live Music by the Willbillys, featuring SIA Board Member, Billy Treacy, Director of Sales NA for Easton Bell Sports (Giro).
2013 Nordic Demo at Devil’s Thumb Ranch is one day only, Mon, Feb 4, 9A - 4P.
Nordic Demo events and activities include:
- Nordic Opening Reception and Nordic State of the Industry- Sunday, Feb 3, 6 – 7:30P in the Yager House
- Nordic Seminar – How to create and manage mailing lists. Feb 4, 8:30A in the Broad Axe Room
- Nutritious breakfast and lunch
- Nordic Après Ski- Monday, Feb 4, 3:30 – 5:30P in the Broad Axe Room with live entertainment, light fare and libations.
“I think the On-Snow Demo is a great event. It’s a good avenue for retailers to try new things, and for industry folks to meet on the chairlift. It’s just as important as the Show because it helps us remember why we’re all here, and why we do what we do. If we don’t get out on the snow, we kind of miss the whole point.” –Jeanette Heimbach, Sales and Marketing Manager, Cocona Inc.
The SIA Show Newsletter is sponsored
by Liquid Image
Ford "Official Partner of the SIA Snow Show"