The First Environmentally Sustainable Meetings Facility
The Colorado Convention Center (CCC), home of the SIA Snow Show, is sustainable by design and in December 2012 became the first convention center in the world to meet the APEX/ASTM Environmentally Sustainable Meeting Standards.
CCC, already LEED EB:OM-and ISO 14001-certified, only needed to redouble tracking and documentation for things like energy usage, waste diversion and procurement to become a certifiably sustainable meeting venue.
The performance-based sustainability standards consider a wide range of functions and facilities at the CCC:
Venues * Accommodations * Audio visual and production * Communications and marketing * Destinations * Exhibits * Food and beverage * On-site offices * Transportation
The CCC facility also addresses sustainability with:
- Natural light in several lobbies
- Single-stream recycling
- Solar panels that offset 280 metric tons of carbon dioxide each year
- Annual diversion of 250 tons of meetings materials from the landfill
- More than 25 percent of employees biking or using transit to commute
- “No idling” rule for shuttles and taxis
- Centerplate’s Blue Bear Farm with 5,000+ square feet of growing space that will provide the caterer and food service provider with at least 3,000 pounds of produce annually