The First Environmentally Sustainable Meetings Facility
The Colorado Convention Center (CCC), home of the SIA Snow Show, is sustainable by design and in December 2012 became the first convention center in the world to meet the APEX/ASTM Environmentally Sustainable Meeting Standards at Level 1. Most recently, the convention center re-certified at Level 2 by focusing on continually improving upon their efforts. This standard focuses specifically on the impacts of a meeting or event by going beyond sustainable building practices to also incorporate best practices of community engagement, communication, and staff management. This certification complements the CCC's certifications to both LEED EB:OM Gold Level and ISO 14001.
The CCC facility also addresses sustainability with:
- Natural light in several lobbies
- Single-stream recycling, back of house composting collection, and a robust donation program.
- Solar panels that offset 280 metric tons of carbon dioxide each year
- Annual diversion of 250 tons of meetings materials from the landfill
- More than 50 percent of employees biking or using transit to commute
- “No idling” rule for shuttles and taxis
- Centerplate’s Blue Bear Farm with 5,000+ square feet of growing space that will provide the caterer and food service provider with at least 3,000 pounds of produce annually
To learn more about the Colorado Convention Center Sustainability Program CLICK HERE.